Legal practices in any jurisdiction in the world can apply for accreditation against the Lexcel Standard, regardless of the size or type of work undertaken.
- Two versions of Lexcel are available to reflect the needs of domestic and international markets:
- Lexcel England and Wales – version 6 of the Standard for legal practices in England and Wales.
- Lexcel International – version 5 of the Standard for practices in England and Wales with independent offices overseas and practices in foreign jurisdictions.
- Lexcel England and Wales is divided into two versions to meet the needs of legal practices and in-house legal departments. These entities are defined as
- An in-house legal department, including those in corporations, public sector (including ABS’), not-for-profit and government organisations.
- Practices whose head office is in England and Wales must be authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
- Practices with multiple offices can apply by jurisdiction. For example a law firm with five offices across England and Wales must submit one application and be assessed across all five offices. In contrast, one that has two offices in England and Wales and an independent office overseas would need to submit two applications, if they wanted to apply for Lexcel across multiple jurisdictions. It is not mandatory for all offices across multiple jurisdictions to apply for Lexcel.
- Lexcel can be combined with other Quality Marks such as Money Advice Service (MAS) and could reduce the time and cost of assessment. A joint assessment is possible.
- Lexcel in accepted as a quality standard by the Legal Aid Agency, instead of accreditation against the SQM.
- An annual practice registration fee is payable to the Law Society and a fee is also payable to the independent assessment body.
Registration Fee including VAT
PRIVATE PRACTICE NON-PRIVATE PRACTICE
- Sole Practitioner - £74.00 1. 1 - 5 Fee Earners - £74.40
- 2 - 4 Partners - £217.20 2. 6 - 15 Fee Earners - £217.20
- 5 - 7 Partners - £284.40 3. 16 - 40 Fee Earners - £370.80
- 8 - 10 Partners - £370.80 4. 41 - 60 Fee Earners - £501.60
- 11 - 15 Partners - £433.20 5. 61 + Fee Earners - £643.20
- 16 - 25 Partners - £598.80
- 26 - 50 Partners - £717.50
- 51 + Partners - £1069.20